Thursday, March 15, 2012

Magnolia Tree in Snow © Maud Guilfoyle


Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Mangolia in Snow Two Panel Painting © Maud Guilfoyle / private collection

Each spring, when the flowering trees begin to bud, I hold my breath to see if we have one last snow that freezes the buds. Some years ago,on my morning walk, I noticed that a beautiful magnolia tree was budding. I made a mental note to come back and sketch and photograph for a painting I was planning of the budding tree. That afternoon we had a spring snow storm, so I grabbed my camera so that I would at least have photo reference to paint from. I didn’t get to it for a few months and when I looked at the photographs, I thought the image of the tree in falling snow beautiful and peaceful, so I decided to paint it this way. By the way, the blossoms survived the snow storm

No comments:

Post a Comment