Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pink Island © Maud Guilfoyle


Saturday, January 23, 2010

PINK ISLAND © 2006 Watercolor 7” x 5”
I went to see the Georgia O’Keefe abstract painting show at the Whitney Museum today. A lot of the paintings were close up paintings of objects, such as a shell, bone, flower or doorway. Some beautiful work, some playful studies. I remember ‘playing’ more with paint, especially watercolor when I first began painting. My Southwest River series and Paradise Island series has that quality. I am thankful to have that experience in my work, just painting and pouring colors without being overly concerned about an end product.
I am posting this island painting tonight for this reason, and also because it was such a cold day!
After the show I had dinner with good friends and someone brought up the topic of C.S.A.s (community supported agriculture) and how marvelous the fruit and vegetables were when they went to a farm to pick them up. I remembered going to a friend’s garden and eating fresh raspberries, warm from the sun. Never had tasted raspberries like that, even fresh from a supermarket. Seeing paintings in person is about like that; there is no comparison to seeing them in a book or on a computer screen. There seems to be less and less authentic experience in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment